Saturday, May 22, 2010

My Strange Misadventures

Life has a way of sending me on strange adventures.
Recently I was invited to the wedding of my Resident Assistant at college and his blushing fiance, both good friends of mine. There was nothing spur-of-the-moment about this wedding, as it was planned well in advance, and I had known I was invited for a good long while. The wedding was taking place in Laurens, South Carolina, about an hour and thirty minutes from my place of residence.
By all accounts I should have been able to plan ahead and get there with plenty of time to spare, however this of course did not happen. Due to a misreading of a message from the groom, I had left fifteen minutes later than I should have, making my arrival to the wedding fifteen minutes late as well. The wedding was taking place outside on the lawn of a very lovely establishment, and being the respectable gentleman that I am, I was not about to go traipsing into the beautiful ceremony like I owned the place. Therefore I decided to use my top-notch V.F.D. training to quietly shut my car door and sneak behind the row of cars to view the wedding behind the hedges. I felt quite the adventurer as I made my way to the optimal viewing spot without being uncovered. I had managed to look up just as he had kissed the bride in a most dashing fashion, turning her around in his arms.

Lovely.

It seems I had drove and hour and a half to do nothing more than sneak into the bushes and catch a glimpse of a kiss, only to drive back in the direction I came, towards the reception which was held and hour away.

It seems my life is geared toward adventure (yes, it was a small one, but an adventure nonetheless!). I could have watched the wedding the appropriate way, and certainly I wish I could have, however I do enjoy getting a glimpse of a beautiful moment in a way others don't, even if it happens to be creeping behind a hedge. I seem to get a lot of those moments thrown at me. Oh, and did I mention I was snappily dressed in my tweed blazer and wool socks?

No comments:

Post a Comment